Submit your application

The requirements for access to doctoral studies in the Spanish state are regulated by the central government, through the Royal Decree 99/2011. Please note that the information shown here is only a summary. If you have any questions contact the Doctoral School.

General term: from June 15, 2023 to October 15, 2023

Programs with vacant places may open a second pre-registration period between November 16, 2023 and March 31, 2024.

Admissions will be valid during the academic year in which the application was carried out and for the following one.

By way of summary, the minimum requirements are:

  • Official university degree + official master’s degree totaling 300 ECTS (Spanish or from the European Higher Education Area).
  • Five-year degree (or more) from pre-Bologna plans (engineer, bachelor, architect, …) that has obtained the correspondence to level 3 of the Spanish Framework of Qualifications for Higher Education.
  • Qualifications from outside the EHEA equivalent to a master’s degree that allows access to doctoral studies in the issuing country (a certificate issued by the university of origin stating this requirement must be provided).

Before submitting your application, you should have prepared the required documentation that you will have to upload to the platform:

  • Identity Card / Passport. Copy of DNI, NIE, European identity card or passport.
    In case of providing a copy of the passport, you must provide as soon as possibleCopy of the NIE issued by the competent Spanish administration.
  • Curriculum vitae, and supporting documents for each of the merits included (language certificates, first and last page of publications, etc.).
  • Admission endorsement from a UPV professor. Commitment of the future thesis directors/tutors to supervise the candidate’s thesis. Download here de sample form:
  • University degrees and academic records of the degrees required for the admission to a Doctoral Program (i.e., bachelor’s and master’s degrees, or university degrees in accordance with previous regulations of equivalent level). It is not necessary to provide the documentation of the degrees issued by the UPV.
  • If your Master’s degree is from outside the European Higher Education Area (EHEA), it is necessary to provide a Certificate from the issuing University stating that the Master’s Degree gives access to Doctorate studies in that country (sample form). In addition, the Master’s degree must be duly legalized.
  • Any other specific documentation required by your chosen doctoral program.

It is essential that each document is in a single file and in pdf format.

More information for holders of non-Spanish degrees

If you have a master’s degree from outside the European Higher Education Area, remember to authenticate it.

Read more

Make your request

If you already have your UPV username + password you can apply for your PhD. If you have never studied at the UPV you should start by requesting an ID and password.

Read more