The Universitat Politècnica de València has four degrees that have been accredited by the prestigious American agency ABET, which deems them equivalent to master's degrees taught in the United States in the respective fields. These degrees are: Agronomic Engineering, Roads, Canals and Ports Engineering, Industrial Engineering and Telecommunications Engineering.
The ABET agency
ABET is a non-profit organisation composed of over 30 professional and technical associations that accredits university degrees in the fields of applied sciences, computing, engineering and technology. It is considered the most important accrediting agency in the world in the field of engineering and guarantees that the degrees in question sufficiently comply with the demands of the respective professions.
With long-standing experience of over 80 years and accrediting over 3,400 programmes (in over 700 higher education institutions) in more than 28 countries, ABET endorses a model that that been defined in direct collaboration with professional and technical associations.
There are mutual recognition agreements between ABET and other national and international accreditation agencies.
To receive ABET accreditation, the degree has to fulfil eight general criteria, one specific criterion for master's degrees and, depending on the field of engineering, another specific criterion with respect to the degree itself. The general quality criteria refer to the students (admission, progress, evaluation...), established educational goals achieved by alumni in the few years after they have graduated, skills acquired by students during their studies, continuous improvement in educational goals and skills, the course plan, the teaching staff, available facilities and infrastructure and, lastly, institutional support safeguarding the degree.
The value of ABET accreditation
- It helps students to choose university programs offering a guarantee of quality.
- It permits employers to hire graduates with the assurance that they have been well-trained to exercise a specific profession.
- In some countries, it is used as a reference and endorsement in the professional register, to regulate professional licences and to select candidates to certification committees.
- It gives universities a structured mechanism to evaluate and improve the quality of their programmes.
UPV degrees accredited by the American agency ABET
- Agricultural Engineering, equivalent to:
- Roads, Canals and Ports Engineering, equivalent to:
- Industrial Engineering, equivalent to:
- Telecommunications Engineering, equivalent to: