The old intermediate technical schools that included the title "perito" (expert/specialist or, in our case, engineer) in their degrees for the different branches of engineering and the title "aparejador" (building engineer) in degrees for this level of study in architecture, changed their names to the technical schools of engineering and the technical schools of architecture respectively in 1964.
However, in May 1972, in accordance with Decree 1377/1972 they joined the various state universities with the term 'university'' added to their names. Thus, the School of Technical Architecture and the School of Technical Engineering changed their names to the University School of Technical Architecture and the University School of Technical Engineering, respectively.
The Universitat Politècnica de València was required to incorporate the five university schools that existed at that time in the Valencian Community, namely:
Therefore, in 1972, the Universitat Politècnica de València was composed of four higher technical schools and five university schools.
Unlike most of the technical schools, which have kept their names, the activities of the university schools have changed significantly over the decades and, therefore, so have their names:
The University School of Agricultural Technical Engineering (EUITA) of València was created as the School of Agricultural Engineering of València in 1959, in the same Decree (1283/1959) that created the ETSEA of València. Its academic work also began in the year 1960-61, in the Valencian town of Burjassot, within the old "plant pathology station". Meanwhile, in the 1965-66 academic year, its premises were moved from Burjassot to the building at number 19 of what was formerly Paseo de Valencia al Mar (now Avinguda de Blasco Ibáñez) in the city, where it remained until it was merged with the ETSEA.
EIn 2002, when the university schools could choose to teach second cycle courses for their various degrees and the university departments allocated the necessary teaching staff, most chose to include some second cycles and master's degree courses - and even PhD programmes - in their teaching plans. So they became higher technical schools. In particular, in 2002, the EUITA changed its name to the School of the Rural Environment and Oenology, while remaining at Avinguda de Blasco Ibáñez.
In 2010, as already explained in the description of the ETSEA's history, both schools merged, resulting in the new School of Agricultural Engineering and the Environment (ETSEAMN), which was based on the Vera campus. The merger of both schools resulted in the formation of one of the leading centres of agricultural studies in Spain.
The University School of Industrial Technical Engineering of Alcoi was created as the Elementary Industrial School in 1862. Due to its location, far away from the headquarters of the UPV, this school was a campus in its own right, the Alcoi campus. In 1994, the range of courses available increased significantly, when the Higher Polytechnic School of Alcoiwas created. Since then, it has grown both in terms of the variety of degrees offered and the number of students enrolled and it has now become an important catalyst for innovation in the industrial sector and a driving force for business entrepreneurship in Alcoi and its county.
The University School of Industrial Technical Engineering (EUITI) of València can be considered the oldest technical school in the Valencian Community, at well over a century old. It was specifically in the middle of the 19th century when - with the so-called Claudio Moyano Law which established the different levels of education, with special engineering schools appearing at the highest level along with universities - seven cities, including València, chose to set up special industrial schools that formed the Royal Industrial Institute of Spain.
València created its Special School of Industrial Engineering in 1850, teaching higher education as required by the Royal Industrial Institute of Spain. But the financial difficulties involved in running these centres forced six of those schools to close in the 1860s, including the one in València, which was closed in 1865. It was replaced by an intermediate level vocational industrial school. There, after countless structural, operational and name changes - School of Industrial Engineering (EPI) since 1931; School of Industrial Technical Engineering (EITI) since 1964 and University School of Industrial Technical Engineering (EUITI) since 1972 -, thousands of technical and university graduates have been trained here, helping to strengthen the industrial sector in the Valencian Community. Until it finally moved to the Vera campus in the 90s, it was located at number 46, Avinguda del Regne de València.
Finally, in 2002, when it added second cycle university education, the EUITI became the current School of Design Engineering (ETSID)..
The University School of Technical Architecture (EUAT) of València was created in April 1968, before the IPSV, as the School of Technical Architecture of València, in accordance with Decree 854/1968 of 4 April, and it has been based on the Vera campus since the mid-1970s. With the changes made to the cyclical education structure - bachelor's degree, master's degree and PhD - and the increase in the number of degrees, it became the School of Building Management in 2002, before becoming the current School of Building Engineering in 2010.
The University School of Public Works Technical Engineering of Alacant was created in April 1968 as the School of Public Works Technical Engineering, in accordance with the same decree that created the EUAT, Decree 854/1968 of 4 April. Although it was incorporated into the UPV in 1972, for strategic reasons, in 1991 it became part of the Universitat d'Alacant, which was created in 1979.
In the period between 1975 and 2000, the Universitat Politècnica de València gradually increased the range of new courses and degrees, while also creating and adding new teaching centres.
The UPV's affiliation with the former School of Fine Arts was established by Decree 2503/1975 of 23 Augustand, subsequently, the school became the Faculty of Fine Arts (FBBAA) in 1978. Artists, curators and art critics, professionals and entrepreneurs from different creative sectors have passed through its lecture halls. Today, the Universitat Politècnica de València's Faculty of Fine Arts is considered to be among the best in the Spanish university system and it brings an artistic element to the UPV.
In 1978 the University School of Agricultural Technical Engineering of Orihuela (Alacant) was created and integrated into the UPV. In 1994, it changed its name to the Higher Polytechnic School and, when the Miguel Hernández University was created in Elx (Alacant) in 1996, this school became affiliated with that university.
Computer science was initially taught in 1982, in what was then the University School of Computer Science (Royal Decree 1620/1982 of 18 June)), which was created and integrated into the UPV. It changed its name to the School of Applied Computer Science in 2002. In 1985 - under Royal Decree 1855/1985 of 9 October -, the Faculty of Computer Science was established, where the computer engineering degree is taught. Years later, in 2010, both centres were merged, resulting in the current School of Informatics (ETSINF).
The School of Telecommunications Engineering (ETSIT) was created in 1989 ( under Decree 117/1989 of 28 July). It is currently ranked as one of the leading schools at home and abroad and it covers all disciplines and aspects of telecommunications engineering.
In 1989, in the same Decree (117/1989), ,the University School of Surveying and Public Works Engineering was established in the UPV. In 1994, it became the School of Engineering in Geodesy, Cartography and Surveying (ETSIGCT), whose curricula have been adapted to the changes brought about by the introduction of information and communication technologies in traditional methods and practices. Moreover, teaching on public works was transferred to the School of Civil Engineering.
The University School of Gandia, which was created in 1993, was established as the Higher Polytechnic School of Gandia (EPSG) during the 1999-2000 academic year. Here, they teach courses on forestry, the environment, tourism, audiovisual communication, telecommunications systems engineering and sound and image. To some extent, establishing the Gandia campus has allowed that city to recover centuries of university tradition. In 1549, the old University of Gandia was established, the first Jesuit university in the world, under the patronage of Saint Francis Borgia, 4th Duke of Gandia, and managed by the Society of Jesus. It was a leading university for two centuries. Classes were taught there until 1767, when the Jesuits were banished from Spain and the University was closed. Currently, the Gandia campus, which had its 25th anniversary in 2019, offers a wide range of courses and the centre is notable for its strong international dimension and its research.
During the 1999-2000 academic year, the Faculty of Business Administration and Management (FADE), was set up, created by by Valencian Government Decree 56/2000, of 25 April, thus completing the UPV's current selection of schools and faculties.