VLC/Campus, which was awarded the Campus of Excellence label in 2010, is a joint proposal by the Universitat de València (UV), Universitat Politècnica de València (UPV) and the Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas (CSIC) to create an International Campus of Excellence in the metropolitan area of Valencia.
VLC/Campus has the following objectives:
- To convert VLC/Campus into a metropolitan knowledge hub of international excellence by specialising in scientific-technological output.
- To improve the quality of the degrees offered, its services and facilities, while focusing on students.
- To drive attraction and retention of talent.
- To be leaders in the change towards a new socio-economic model in the area, which is more focused on knowledge and generates employment and productivity.
- To act as a model of reference in values that allow the transition to a sustainable economy.
The three main axes of specialisation of VLC/Campus are: health, information and communications technology, and sustainability. These three axes determine the lines of actions in all functions of the university, and are also used to organise the necessary resources for its functioning by creating platforms for innovation, which serve as the basis of programmes of excellence for faculty (especially in PhD programmes) as well as research and knowledge transfer.
- The Platform for Innovation in Science and Technology for Health strengthens the interaction between the different disciplines in health sciences as well as with basic sciences, engineering and social sciences.
- The Platform for Innovation in Information and Communications Technology covers topics in basic research, right up to super computing, robotics, construction of communication networks and creation of multimedia content.
- The Platform for Innovation in Science and Technology for Sustainability studies the potential of teaching and research for the areas of energy, environment and global change, production diversification, landscape protection and local development as well as environmental education.