- -
Authentication procedure of original Academic Documents that need to be used abroad

The authentication of original academic documents that must have effect abroad is an internationally-agreed process, which previously requires the recognition of signatures by the relevant Spanish authorities.

Signature recognition

Documents whose signature must be verified by the Ministry of Education:

  • Official university degrees valid throughout the national territory, issued by the Vice-Chancellors of the universities.
  • Higher education and postgraduate degrees, issued by the Ministry of Education
  • Official academic certificates of studies leading to obtaining the qualifications referred to in the above mentioned paragraphs. (The signatures in enrolment certifications are not to be verified).
  • Certificates issued by the Ministry of Education accrediting compliance with qualification conditions required by European Community Council directives.

List of documents

Applicable regulation: Order of the Ministry of 16 April 1990 on the authentication procedure of original academic documents that must have effect abroad.

As is clear from the regulation, only the signatures of official university documents will be verified in this Ministry, the rest of the academic documents shall be authenticated by a notary pubic.

Submission requirements

  • The documents shall always be original.
  • Academic certificates must have a hand-written signature indicating the position and full name, signatures by order, absence or authorisation shall not be recognised.
  • Programmes shall be submitted according to the following instructions.


The previously mentioned documents must be authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation. However, for those countries signatory to the Hague Convention of 8 October 1961, a simplified procedure is established.

Documents for countries signatory to the Hague Convention

Ministerio de Justicia
Sección de Legalizaciones
Plaza Jacinto Benavente, Nº3. Madrid
Tel.: 902.007.214

Documents to take effect in countries non-signatory to the Hague Convention

Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores y de Cooperación
C/ Juan de Mena, Nº4. Madrid
Tel.: 91.379.16.10 and 91.379.17.00
By appointment through: www.maec.es

Furthermore, in this case, recognition of the above signatures is necessary by the Diplomatic or Consular representative in Spain of the country where the document is to take effect.

Submission and schedules

In person

The academic documentation may be submitted in the Unit indicated at the access control of the building in Paseo del Prado, 28.

From 9:00 am to 14:00 pm Monday through Friday.

Note: When the documentation us submitted by a third party, he/she must have an authorisation by the holder of the documents.


The academic documentation will be sent to the address below with the application enclosed:

Ministerio de Educación
Subdirección General de Títulos y Reconocimiento de Cualificaciones Servicio de Títulos/Unidad de Legalizaciones
Paseo del Prado, 28
28014 – Madrid

Note: The applicant shall state in the application the address for notifications and if he/she wishes the Unit to continue the process in the Ministry of Justice or Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation as the case may be.


For inquiries please contact: legalizacion@educacion.es

Note: This mailbox is only for queries related to authentication, to inquire about any other subject, please refer to the Citizen Information services.

EMAS upv