With over 2,000 years of history, Sagunt has a wide range of
remaining monuments which can transport the visitor back in time.
It's simply a question of giving free rein to your imagination.
In addition to these important monuments, Medieval Sagunt is dotted
with other attractive civic and religious buildings: the
façade of the 13th century Palacio del Delme; the
arcaded Plaza Mayor, the centrepoint of Medieval life, and
containing the Puerta del Almudin; the 18th century
Palacio Municipal with a Neoclassical front; and various
manorial homes with coats of arms over their doorways.
- The Castle
The remains of this fortress wind around the ridge above Sagunt for
practically one kilometre, a silent witnesses of the battle between
Saguntum and Hannibal, and the foundations for later constructions
made by Romans, Goths, Moors and Christians. In view of its
historical importance, it was declared a national monument in 1931
and is divided into seven areas:
The Plaza de Almenara, named the Saluquia by the
Arabs, is the most Oriental part of the Castle, with ancient
cisterns, Roman pavings and buildings from different periods. The
arms patio, now called the Plaza de Santa Maria Magdalena, is the
nucleus of the Castle containing remains of the Roman forum,
temples, shafts and columns, and a cistern sculpted in rock from
the Roman period. The Plaza de la Conejera once formed part
of the Arab fortress. This is also known as the Pla‡a dels nou
pilars, the nine-columned square, because of an ancient cistern
located in its northernmost corner. Access is from the arms patio.
The Plaza de la Ciudadela is the highest enclosure of the
Castle. This was once named the Plaza de Hercules after a
tower of the same name that withstood the ravages of time until the
seige of the fortress by French troops in 1811.
The Plaza del Dos de Mayo, looking to the west, received
this name after a heroic defence against field marshal
Suchet in the War of Independence. Also of note is the
Plaza de San Fernando and Plaza de los
From this natural lookout point on the crest of the Sierra
Calderona, there are magnificent panoramas of the local
orchards running down to the blue Mediterranean.
- Roman Theatre
Constructed in the 1st century, this was the first archeological
site in Spain to be declared a National Monument i 1896. It was
skilfully built into a curve of the mountainside and offers
exceptional acoustics for the staging o plays and concerts. It was
recently rehabilitated to provide greater unity between the stage
and the seats, and now offers appropriate conditions for theatre
and cultural activities of many kinds.
- El Calvario
On the eve of Good Friday, the Calvary route is the scene for a
representation of the Passion and Crucifixion of Christ, staged
since the 19th century. At the top is the hermitage of La
Soledad, which the artist Santiago Rusinyol depicted in
some of his paintings.
- Templo de Diana
Abutting on the church of Santa Maria, the Temple of
Diana conserves a wall which is 15 metres long and 4 metres
high, formed of gigantic limestone slabs. It was constructed in the
5-4th century BC and was saved from destruction during Hannibal's
seige because it was consecrated to the goddess Diana. It has been
declared a National Monument.
- Iglesia de Santa Maria
This church, built in the Valencian Gothic ojival style, has an
apse and nave facing north which date from the 14th century, a
southern portal from the 15th century and a 17th century doorway
designed by Gil Torralva and Juan Perez. Of a total
of three access doors, two are Gothic and the remaining door, the
main entrance, is in the Baroque style, flanked by Plateresque
columns. It is now a National Monument.
- Iglesia de San Salvador
Located in the barrio of the same name, this is a fine example of
early Valencian Gothic architecture, dating from the 13th century,
the age of Jaime I, King of Aragon. It has a single
Romanesque portal set in a round arch. The apse is poligonal with
a ribbed vault and a rectangular-based campanile.
- Ermita de la Sangre
Built at the beginning of the 17th century in Baroque style, this
is the largest hermitage in the town. In the shape of a Latin
cross, it has one single nave with a round vault. The cupola shows
scenes from the Passion of Christ. Effigies used in Holy Week
processions, known as pasos, are kept here, some of which
derive from the end of the 15th century.
- La Judería
A visit through time brings us to the Jewish quarter, accessed
through a portal with a round arch in the Calle del
Castillo, known as the Portalet de la Juderia or the
Portalet de la Sang (the 'Portal of Blood'). Following the
expulsion of the Jews by the Catholic Monarchs in 1492, the
Brotherhood of the Immaculate Blood of Our Lord Jesus Christ
occupied the former synagogue.
The Jewish barrio has narrow, winding streets, houses jostled up
against up one another and ojival, or pointed arches over the
entries to some streets, making for pleasant strolls for
reconnoitring the past.
- Puerta del Circo Romano
This monument, the lion's share of which is still buried, preserves
one of the portals to the Roman Circus, located in the Calle de
los Huertos. It is composed of enormous smooth-cut masonry and has
been dated to the 2nd and 3rd centuries of our era.
UPV | Valencian Community | Guided Tour