The centre of the city is where the majority of historical buildings are located, and the Plaza Mayor, the Fish market Plaza and Plaza Santa Clara -full of life and activity- still evoke a taste of the past.
El Fadrí (The Fadrí Tower) This 58-metre octagonal bell tower was built following plans by Damián Méndez during the end of the 1 6th century and the beginning of the 1 7th century. It is now the symbol of the city and stands apart from the cathedral (its name in Valencian means obachelor») next to the noble Abbey house. The two upper stories contain the bells which mark the hours and announce events of importance in the city.
La Concatedral de Santa María (The Procathedral of Saint Mary) Originally built in the 1 3th century and reconstructed in the 14th after destruction by fire, this church was once one of the most representative examples of Gothic architecture in the Land of
Valencia. It was practically demolished in 1936, with only two side doorways and the central portal left standing. Vicente Traver began reconstruction work in 1940, and work is still being continued today in the East Wing and the apse. Valuable gold and silverwork has been conserved, such as various 18th-century processionai crosses, sculptures from the 17th and 19th centuries (particularly the Purisima, or Virgin Mary, by José Esteve Bonet) and oil paintings by Ribalta and Joaquín Oliet.
El Ayuntamiento (The City Hall) Erected at the beginning of the 1 8th century by the master builders Gil Torralva and Melchor Serrano, the city hall has a handsome Tuscanstyle façade rising up over a colonnade. The building contains sculptures by Viciano and Benlliure, and paintings by Oliet, Foz, Puig Roda, Porcar, Domènech and Agrasot.
La Plaza de Santa Clara (Saint Claire Square) Opening to the south of the marketplace, on the site of the erstwhile Santa Clara Convent, the first hospital in the city, this Plaza contains a modern sculpture by Llorens Poy referring to the history of Castellón de la Plana and
is surrounding by a modern arcade. During the week-long Magdalena celebration, the plaza is also the site of a number of festivities and the New and Used Book Fair.
La Lonja (The Exchange) Known popularly as the Llotja del Cànem (Hemp Exchange) owing to the extensive trade in hempen cloth and rope in the province in former years, this building was constructed during the first half of the 1 7th century under the direction of Francisco Galiansa. The two sides facing Colón and Caballeros streets present four large arcades on Tuscan pilasters. Near the Plaza Mayor stands the Casa dels Miquels, a 1 5th-century nobleman's home with large, sculpted voussoirs above the main doorway. Next to this is the Casa dels Orfens, an orphanage founded in the 19th century by Bishop José Climent.
El Teatro Principal (The Main Theatre) This neo-classical style theatre was built towards the end of the 19th century and seats one thousand five hundred people. It contains paintings by Pedro Ferrer and Francisco Pérez Olmos. In the pedestrian area of the Plaza de la Paz, where the theatre is located, there is an elegant modernist kiosk where many locals gather before and after the theatre. El Casino (The Casino) Not far from the Plaza de la Paz, the monumental modernist edifice of the Castellón Casino can be seen. Constructed in 1922 on the foundations of a 17th century building, the Casino is used for numerous civil events in the city.
Basílica de Santa María de Lledó At the end of a broad avenue decorated with orange trees, the Basilica of Santa María de Lledó lies on the northwest edge of the city, and was named after the virgin who became patron saint of Castellón de la Plana in 1922. According to written records, there was a chapel located here in the 14th century commemorating the discovery of the image of the Virgin by Perot de Granyana in 1366. The hermitage was extended in the 16th century and the present-day façade is the result of this reform. It acquired its present form in the 18th century, and is surrounded by a landscaped garden. On one side there is a tiled frieze representing the original hermits. Inside, in addition to the image and a collection of mantles, there are sculptures from the 1 7th and 1 8th centuries and valuable oil paintings and silverware.
Casa Abadia (The Abbey) Built in the 16th century next to the Fadrí Tower, this building has an extensive library belonging to the Castellón Society of Culture, one of the oldest bodies in the city.
Iglesia de San Miguel
Convento de Capuchinas (Capuchin Convent) This 18th-century convent holds a valuable collection of paintings by Zurbarán and sculptures from the 17th and 18th centuries.
Iglesia del Convento de San Agustín (Church of the Convent of St. Augustine) This church has a baroque façade and interior, with dome frescoes by José Vergara. The chapels are adorned with paintings by this artist and by Joaquín Oliet.